Monday, August 08, 2011

strange things afoot at iTunes - please read if you have an account

I received the email below from Apple, saying that someone used my account to make a purchase from a device not previously associated with my Apple ID. Turns out that someone hacked my account password, made a purchase to an illegitimate device of a gambling app, Kamagames Texas Poker... and then stripped out all my credits buying poker chips. I did some looking and it turns out this shit has been happening since last November, and a LOT of people have been robbed... I am glad I only had about $27 on there with a prepaid gift card, and no credit card linked. I would STRONGLY recommend that if any of you out there have a credit card linked into your iTunes account, that you remove it from there and use only prepaid credits, in small increments. I am not sure if I will even do that again - hopefully Apple will refund me the lost dollars, and I won't be in a hurry to add to that.


* * *

from Apple do_not_reply@apple.com
to
date Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM
subject Your recent purchase with your Apple ID.
Images from this sender are always displayed. Don't display from now on.
hide details 1:01 AM (21 hours ago)
Dear ,

Your Apple ID, , was just used to purchase Texas Poker from the App Store on a computer or device that had not previously been associated with that Apple ID.

If you made this purchase, you can disregard this email. This email was sent as a safeguard designed to protect you against unauthorized purchases.

If you did not make this purchase, we recommend that you go to iforgot.apple.com to change your password, then see Apple ID: Tips for protecting the security of your account for further assistance.

Regards,
Apple

No comments: